Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Intro

Photography is primarily an art. And what makes a piece of art (a photograph) pleasing to the eye can be quite subjective. What I consider a beautiful image can leave somebody else completely unimpressed. And vice versa. What this means in practical terms is that no matter how hard you try, you'll always have your critics. Somebody out there won't like that very special picture you took. However, you'll also find yourself scratching your head sometimes, wondering why your friends are so impressed with that horrible picture you took the other day. That's because photography is an art. It is subjective.

That being said, photography is also somewhat of a science. It involves playing with the physics of light; It comes with its own toolbox - mechanical settings such as aperture, shutter speed, and ISO - that you'll use to create a desired artistic effect.

My goal in creating this blog is to explore with you some of the techniques of capturing a good image. Before I start, I want you to know that I'm not a professional photographer, but rather a self-taught enthusiast. What I've learned - and am in the process of learning -  I'm passing on to you with the goal of better quality pictures. I hope to speak in layman's terms, so that photography seems like an accessible sport.


No comments:

Post a Comment